Sunday, May 3, 2009

Response to a Classmates Blog Post

After reading Christy’s post on limits on gun sales, and the original article. I formed my own opinion on the matter. I do agree with the points that Christy makes for why people do not need more than 13 handguns a year. I also agree that the analogy between lethal weapons and fashion accessories was absurd and erroneous. While I feel that it is reasonable for a law to be passed that a person can purchase no more than 1 gun a month, I also feel that this would not do much when it comes to gun safety. All that you need is one gun to perform a deadly act. While the law may reduce the number of guns that are sold for profits and supplied to gang members, it is a simple fact that even if the law is passed, gang members will still find a way to get guns. There is no doubt in my mind about that.

Christy also cites that Republican State Senator Marcia Karrow, who is opposed to limits on gun sales, says “the best defense she could give was that some people simply want to buy guns”. Christy feels that this is not a value argument, as the people who buy multiple guns are obviously not using them for their intended reason (personal defense). I agree with the fact that someone who buys 10 hand guns a month is surely not using them for their intended use, but I also agree with the Senator that some people just want to buy guns. I feel that a law should be passed that limits the sale on guns per month, but I think that it should allow for more than 1 a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment