Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Huffington Post – Cluttered, Yet Organized

The Huffington Post was the first blog that I have ever looked at closely. When I first went on the website, the first thing I noticed was how cluttered it was. There were colored boxes with pictures and links and titles all packed next to each other. On the left side of the page was all the blog posts with a summary of each post. Scrolling up and down the home page was a little intimidating, as there seemed to be so much information and so many stories in such a little space.

I began to click on some of the links for different topics (media, entertainment, etc.), and I began to get used to the format of the site. As it turns out, the home page is a mesh of all that the site has to offer, and information and posts on a certain topic are easily attainable by clicking the tabs on the top or bottom of the page.

There are different authors that write for the blog, and I clicked on a few different authors to see how they wrote their blogs. One blog I read was by Elizabeth Banks. The post was her review and critique of the movie ’17 Again’. Although her post was informative, I felt that she went off topic a little too much and used way too many parentheses. Another post I read was one by Arianna Huffington entitled ‘Sunday Roundup’. It was basically a quick summary of some of the big events of the week. I felt that this was better written than the one by Banks. Something I did notice about both posts was the format in which they are written; they both seemed to have an informal tone, unlike articles that you would read in a newspaper. Overall it was interesting to actually take a look at a blog and read through it, instead of just hearing about it or skimming through one like I usually do.

No comments:

Post a Comment