Sunday, May 3, 2009

Redneck Feminist

Again, while searching Google for a feminist blog, my attention was caught by the name of this blog: ‘Redneck Feminist: A Free Market Feminist Blog’. As soon as you go on the website the author has a funny quote right under the title of the blog. It reads: “If you don't get the title of this blog, you probably shouldn't read it. You will be offended if you have a narrow idea of what the terms redneck, feminist, and libertarian mean. This is not a white-power blog, nor do I care to hear others whine about how "oppressed" white people are. If you have an open mind, please read my blog!”.

After reading through the authors posts, I found one particular post to be very interesting. It was entitled ‘Not a Victim’. In the post the author says “So why do people think I have to be a victim to be a feminist? I don't get it. Just because I realize that sexism still exists (against both women and men) doesn't mean I think life sucks and I'm oppressed”. It was interesting to read this post because I agree with the fact that when most people hear ‘feminist’, they assume that the person is oppressed and fighting for the rights of woman. Sometimes being a feminist means simply that the woman recognized that sexism exists. The post had a sarcastic tone with some examples to prove her point, which they did. Although the blog is not updated that often at all, I feel that it was still a good blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment