Sunday, May 3, 2009

Politics in the News: Jon Stewart Takes on Network News..And Wins?

Anyone who has an interest in politics has no doubt heard of Jon Stewart, and probably has seen his show, The Daily Show. The Daily Show is a comedic talk show that is based on politics and news. He single handedly hosts the show does a very good job. As is to be expected, the main viewers of the show are todays youth. I feel that this is very important, because it means that the youths are getting some political information. I know for a fact that many students would rather watch the Daily Show than MSNBC. I am one of these students. I cannot stand to listen to long political shows based on hard facts. The comedic style the Stewart uses to put forth political issues and events makes it extremely entertaining to watch.

Although it is good that this show can get the youth involved, I think that many of them, including myself, are using it as a crutch. The Daily Show probably consists of 80% of the news I hear about politics. This is not good. I think that to be fully educated, you must try to hear every side of the story, and watching network news can help you do that. I feel that watching network news at a random time does guarentee that you will hear political pieces, but watchin the Daily Show does. This is another positive to the Daily Show. I am trying to start using the Daily Show as a segway to watching network news more, but for me, as of now, Jon Stewart has the upper hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment